Thursday, May 21, 2009

Jury Duty

Yep... it was inevitable... I was chosen for jury duty. I had to report on Wednesday, which is my Sunday by the way, and I was chosen from about 50 people to be on the 12 person jury. I can't talk about what is going on but I can tomorrow after we come up with a verdict... hopefully we can figure it out by tomorrow. I can talk about it all I want after the fact so watch for another post.

Here are a few interesting things I found while looking for this "Scales of Justice" picture on my trusty friend google: First, scales are apparently the symbol for the Libra zodiac symbol. I sure hope this is paint and not a tattoo.

Also, do you know where "Lady Justice" came from? I do. Here it is (I took out the boring "daughter of..." stuff):
The origin may be Themis, a Greek mythological goddess. Justitia, a Roman goddess of justice, wore a blindfold. She had been depicted with sword and scales, but was not always so. Representations of the Lady of Justice in the Western tradition occur in many places and at many times. She sometimes wears a blindfold, more so in Europe, but more often she appears without one. She usually carries a sword and scales. Almost always draped in flowing robes, mature but not old, no longer commonly known as Themis, she symbolizes the fair and equal administration of the law, without corruption, avarice, prejudice, or favor.


No comments: